Monday, August 15, 2011

Reality check


Another weekend flies by and I am being assaulted by doubts from work and home. It is eerie how life works sometimes, and how it stops working more often that not. I get that life, in all of its glory and trials, is about the journey and not about the destination. True, but again, it depends on what end of the looking glass you are looking through.
For me, this week had been hell, not a blessing in disguise, not a one of those epiphanies hidden behind a wall of hurt, not the twisting road I chose once upon a time. No, my definition of hell, to me, is the uncertainty of not knowing what I am going to do to feed my family in the immediate future, it is not knowing where I am going to be a month from here, and it is the fact of knowing that most of the opportunities I have been given in life were squandered or not appreciated in its fullest. I do not regret the choices I made per se, but I do regret the way life passed be my by and I was either asleep or thinking that the future was too far ahead. Either way, I do believe that life gives lessons and this one, for me, has been harsh to say the least. 
Now, a strange sense of liberation has taken over my addled mind, one that only mad men or the ones that are waiting to be hanged share, it is the certainty of doom that sometimes opens the clogged visual lanes that bring pure joy and sheer terror. I tend to exaggerate, yes, I am not yet unemployed, and will fight with tooth and nails to salvage what might be left of the family business. The bitter end might be fifty years from now, or might come next month, but we are going out swinging. Again, this is the gamble of the desperate.
Now, after this soul cleansing rant, on to the blog.

Books

I finished only one book this week, but like most books in my life, it will define a time and place unique and irreplaceable, not only for the obvious reference to my troubled times, but also because of its own merit, the book is simply magnificent. I wrote a few months back that Neil Stephenson’s The Diamond Age changed my life, well, the Wise man´s fears has also changed my life in the same profound way books possess to let us know that somewhere, someone, has gone through what you are feeling, has tried to do right by doing wrong.
I highly recommend The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss.

Writing

The Druid’s Grove is in hiatus now, not only because I am writing this update in Can Cun, but because I am writing the short story I wrote about in last week’s blog. The story is going great and should be finished in a week from now, maybe sooner. However, I have sketched a few more scenes of the novel that might be written a month from now, depending on how I am doing in with the other stories.

Tomorrow is my birthday so…Happy Birthday to me!
See you next Friday, the Thursday update will be moved one day.

3 comments:

Luos said...

Maybe it´s time to take more seriously your ability to write and publish your first best seller.

Luos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lic. Pedro Fco. García Obregón said...

sorry I could not comment earlier. Well. yes, I think it is time that I put into high gear whatever it is I have planned for my writing. But still, a man has gotta to eat!
Thanks for the wishes though!

Post a Comment