Monday, May 16, 2011

Series and web comics

Hello all, yes it is me, and yes it is Monday. Don't look at me, I am as surprised as you are. Without further ado, let's get this week's post going.

Las time I ranted a bit, well, maybe a lot, about the TV series The Legend of the Seeker. Today, I want to talk about two series in particular that have gotten it right in so many ways, that I am just one of those bitter old fools, expecting the series to fail so that order may be restored in my twisted, twisted world.

Game of Thrones.
Where to begin? There a very few series that change the way we view TV, with all the good and bad that may come from it, but GoT is one that will undoubtedly raise the expectation of fantasy themed programs. The production is impressive and massive. The sets are beautiful and do not look like sets at all. The characters were casted just right and it is written and directed as it should be. I literally feel that I am patrolling the Wall with Jon Snow or drinking my ale, listening to the bird's chirp, while the King entertains a few wenches, in King's Landing.
Whole some elements of the books cannot be translated onto the screen, and while the dire wolves appearances have been nothing more than cameos, I feel that essence of the story has remained untouched.
While the book is not your ordinary fantasy series, I think that the series is also not your ordinary fantasy either. The fantastical elements are there, yes, but they do not overpower the story or the scenery. The Wall is impressive but it is not too impressive, not too fake.
Oh, and I luv me some Tyrion!
Overall, once the remaining 5 episodes have aired, we can have a lengthy discussion about our impressions of the finished product, but so far, I am loving every minute of it.

Camelot.
This was another series that had me as an excited skeptic. It has been a pleasant surprise to find a very well structured, written and scripted series, where Merlin steals the show and Morgana steals the thunder. Arthur is...well...meh...I have not cared too much for the character but well, Arthur is depicted as being an emotionally challenged young man with a sudden increase in wealth and power.
What has really carried the series, at least in my mind, is the breathtaking settings and the oppressive lighting the show employs to tell the story. I am looking forward for next week's episode as well.

I wanted to share with you a few of the web comics that I thoroughly enjoy. Feel free to leave me some links of your favorite web comics as well.

http://leasticoulddo.com/
http://www.girlswithslingshots.com/
http://lfgcomic.com/

Sorry for the short post, but I have a full week of work. I will try to comment more on the other series I am reading and on the progress I am making in the Sword of Truth saga.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Luos said...

I haven’t actually see Camelot, but what I have chance to see from Game of Thrones is totally awesome, I mean… is like seen a series whit the power and money of a Hollywood summer movie… AWESOME!!!
But tell me, what do you think of the web comic “WereGeek” and what other web comics do you recommend??? I need to read something besides novels and roll book jajaja!!!
Luos.

Lic. Pedro Fco. García Obregón said...

Yes, Game of Thrones is just awseome, we are being treated to a summer movie every Sunday night, and I think that it will change the way we see fantasy TV in the future.
I love Weregeek man, it just has a lot of elements that I can relate to from my own life and the final realization that I was geek, and that I loved it!
Well, I read a lot of webcomics, so I will list a few of those:

Least I could do.
Looking for Group.
Girls with Slingshots.
Sinfest.
Penny Arcade.
Ctr+Alt+Del.
Full Frontal Nerdity.

These are the ones I have on the top of my head, if you want more, I will post some more here!
It is good to see you brother :D

Post a Comment