Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Pentholas is back, in a good way.

It’s Tuesday! A day late but not for lack of trying, yesterday I had a bad day at the office. But, well, that is behind me now so on to this week’s ramblings.

Books

I finished book three of The Sword of Truth series, Blood of the Fold. Again, the experience of reading this book for a second time but without the urge to skip pages to know what is going to happen has made this experience quite unique. I am enjoying the detailed and rich descriptions of these magical places as well as of the creatures that inhabit this massive world. I have also found some serious comedy hidden between the dialogues, especially between Richard and the Confessor, but more so with the clever Mord Sith. I have just started book 4, and I am looking forward to it.

I also finished book 12 of the Anita Blake series, Incubus Dreams and I really liked it. The direction the main characters are taking, mainly Anita and Jean-Claude are pretty consistent, that is one trait that I have loved about these books: they are consistent. Anita has gone through so much, not only mentally but physically, with her power growing and the with the marks affecting her powers, that if she would have stayed the same, then the series would not make much sense at all. Jean-Claude is, well, Jean-Claude, and he is still the one pulling the strings and not saying any more than he needs to. Nathaniel and Micah have become two very good, complex characters, one struggling to become what he thinks Anita wants him to become and the other simply is what he is. Richard is still in the out house for, I really don’t like him at all, and with each book my dislike is growing into something that resembles hate…lol.

I also began the first book of the First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie names The Blade Itself. It has been a very good change of pace, and while I am only about half-way, one of the main characters, Logen Ninefingers is fast becoming one of my favorites. Let’s see hoe the rest of the book unfold and then we can discuss next week.

Series

I only had time for a quick Game of Thrones episode this week, but boy, it was a good one. I have a feeling that the resolution of the plot is not far begin and the downward spiral the Stark’s will suffer is about to begin.
In the immortal words of my good friend @Ynoz, in regards of Viserys…Worst, deal ever.

Games

Again, the little time I had this week to play was used up by Final Fantasy VII. I already have Cid and Vincent in my party and this time around I decided to play, mainly, with Cloud, Tifa and Vincent, although Aeries and Red XIII are also very part of the mix. I don’t know why, but I have never used Yuffie as part of the rotation. I already have the Tiny Bronco and have just finished Wutai’s first mission, so I will likely head down to the Golden Saucer and advance the plot line.

Now, very good news from the pen and paper Kingdome of role-play have come my way this week. A new table has formed and I can’t wait to get started. This Thursday we will begin with the character creation and our DM will have to get acquainted with the new rules of the 4th edition. (I think that the last time he played THACO was still all the rage.) I have a character that I have played on an off for the last 6 or 7 years. I have also played this toon in World of Warcraft where he became my favorite toon in the world. His name is Pentholas, and he is a Prince you, oh, and he can turn into a dog! The first toon I rolled was a Druid, and through the years, playing games like Baldur’s Gate and Neverwinter Nights, I always rolled a Druid, so I would like to say I that I feel right at home with this class. However, what I really want is to be part of a table that is constant and committed to the allotted times for our game, so that we can build a story that might take years to resolve, or even if its not years, at least long enough to introduce plot points and decision that our heroes will rue or celebrate at the nearest Tavern. I want some closure for Pentholas, I want him to be able to retire into his golden days and then break out a new character. But most of all, I just want to play D&D again with my friends.

Webcomic

This week I came across this wonderful of webcomics, called Weregeek. I just felt so…represented by the overall arc of the story, which I just could not resist.

http://www.weregeek.com/2011/05/31/

Enjoy the rest of your week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment