Monday, June 27, 2011

Golden Chocobo!

Good Monday to all. On to this week’s post!

I had a long, busy week but still managed to enjoy a productive and enjoyable work week. First things first: I finally finished the overview of my novel and will now begin to write it this week. I am very excited because it is first time that I actually write the story of the book from beginning to end before writing any type of chapter. I think this will greatly reduce my unquenchable need create chapters that have absolutely nothing to do with the main story arch. This first step of auto-editing the content of the novel is very important for me because it allows me to explore the whole story before I commit to it in the form of chapters. It also helps me iron out details such as names, types of units, wardrobe, cities, etc. I have always liked to construct worlds from the bottom up, trying to give the characters context and depth, However, I think that this practice has led to unwanted delays and has prevented me from creating the story inside the world, which is much more important in the long run. Thus, when I decided to let go and simply write the story, it was liberating to write without knowing all the details. I begin the Prologue today, so let’s see how that goes. In the meantime, I will also write the outline of the other stories that I want to write about, starting with the story of X.
I am also going to finish the short story I have written for the L. Ron Hubbard Writers of the Future contest. This will be my second submission, and though I feel this story is better suited for the contest that the first one, I am still not entirely sure if it will have better luck than the first one. The problem is that I don’t think I write good short stories, I think my strength falls into more elaborate and lengthier texts, but heck, and I do want to learn how to write more concise and shorter stories, so the Contest is a wonderful platform where I can try to do just that. The important thing is that I ma writing everyday and working hard to achieve my goals.

Books

I have completely left the Sword of Truth series and Anita Blake novels aside, because I ma engrossed in The First Law world. The Trilogy is sensational, but I have enjoyed the two books that come after the trilogy much more. It is difficult to imagine that two books, set four and nine years after the conclusion of the trilogy to hold any relevant story lines or characters, but Abercrombie found a way to blend the trilogy with these two books flawlessly. The action is fast and almost never-ending, the characters are rich and complex, the plot twists are definitely engrossing and I have been enjoying the reading experience a lot. I highly recommend these books.
On a side note, our little book club has decided that we are going to read Brandon Sanderson’s The Way of Kings and I am really looking forward to it. I think I will the Mistborn Trilogy, also by Sanderson, a go as well.

Games

This past week we did not have our D&D session, but I am looking forward for this week’s session. I am playing with three for the first time and it has been entertaining to say the least. I just hope that the mage does not get us all killed.
I successfully bred a golden chocobo last night and for the first time in all of the times I have played this game, I went into the Underground Reactor with all of the chocobo accessible materia at hand. I love Final Fantasy VII and I love it even more after the submarine mini-game. I will hunt down the Gelnika tonight and will try to morph anything that stands in my way. It is Yuffie time.
I am also playing Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy VIII, but I have barely begun the latter and have only finished a couple of chapters of the first one. I hope I have time to play more this week, but I do prefer to spend the little time I have writing.

Series

I have been a bad boy for the past two months and have not been really into TV. I still have not seen past the 6th episode of Game of Thrones and I am only around the 4th episode of Camelot. I have been finishing up the NCIS season 7 episodes though, but still, I hope that when I go on vacation I will be able to finish off all of the series.

I will see ya'll next week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment