Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fantasy Series List

Sorry about the delay, but a nasty stomach bug kept on the sidelines yesterday. I am okay today so onwards to this week’s post!

This week I have been trying to comprise a comprehensive list of good fantasy series to read and encountered some blogs and lists that, understandably, are totally subjective. The reviews of the series and of the books got me thinking about my own classification of the books that I like and the books that I don’t, and why I rate them the way I do.

For example, in this site: http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fantasy-books.php I found a very comprehensive and up to date list of fantasy series that I am interested in reading. However, some of the reason given as to why the writer of the blog believes they are the best falls way short in my list. I understand certain aspects of what might make a fantasy series good, or endearing, or simply a classic, and I also understand that those same variables change from person to person, but how can one question the formula of the simple boy that happens to be a King, or of the young group of people that suddenly are thrust into adventure where the fate of the world hangs in the balance? I mean, to me, one of the most alluring characteristics of fantasy novels is precisely that, the fact that a simple a boy or girl undergoes magical changes in order to save the world. That is one of the reason that I read fantasy, I want to be immersed in a world where there are no boundaries and my imagination can run wild, thinking to myself that I am Huma, or Drizzt or Haplo or Aragorn. Or that I am simply there as a spectator in VIP seats with a gigantic box of popcorn.
One could argue about the technical aspects of the book, or the series, or about the style and technique the author used, if it is well-written or not, and, well, I am not one of those. You see, although I do value certain amount of prowess from the authors I read, I tend to notice much more about the story rather than the way is told. Granted, there are many books that I just have not been able to finish or did not care to finish which is within my rights as well, but reading the many lists I found on the internet, I also came to my last conclusion: The makers of the list were only paying attention to series that had much more adult content and language, adult fantasy if you will, and were really nasty towards series like Dragonlance or Drizzt’s adventures. And that is something I won’t stand for. Obviously these types of series are geared to younger audiences, I began reading Dragonlance when I was 17 or 18, and Forgotten Realms novels around my 20th birthday, so yes, it has been a while. My point here is that to me, books in general, have a profound meaning in terms of taking snapshots of my past, of allowing me to relive feelings that have been guarded for 20 years or more, or less. The first novel I read in my life was Treasure Island, I was 8, and I can still remember eating bread with mayo on the living room, excited about the adventure I was not only reading, but living as well. I remember the day I read the Legend of Huma, one of the first times in my life that tears ran freely down my face when reading a book (Since then, the floodgates have opened, and I am not ashamed to say it  ), the day I discovered, thanks to one of my good friend’s late father, the wonderful, dark and erotic world of Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles. I don’t know about you, but sometimes, when I am re-reading a book or a complete series, I can actually remember the weather from my original reading and I can remember my mood and a fleeting view of my life at the time I was reading the book for the first time.
That, to me, is what makes reading much more than just a hobby, or a pastime; it is part of my life, part of my memories and part of who I am and how these books define me.

So, in the spirit of list making and making everybody agree to disagree, here is my top ten fantasy series, in order of enjoyment and pure subjective bliss.

1. The Wheel of Time – Robert Jordan.- The series that opened my eyes to another type of fantasy.
2. The Deathgate Cycle – Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman.- My favorite until Mat, Perrin and Rand arrived. I usually re-read this series once every 2 years.
3. A Song of Ice and Fire – George R.R. Martin.- My introduction to the adult fantasy series could not have been better.
4. Heroes I (The Legend of Huma, Stormblade, Weasel’s Luck) – Dragonlance.- The first time I truly lived and breathed through the life of a character.
5. The Legend of Drizzt – R.A. Salvatore.- I really enjoy this series, because it feel that at every turn, the dice are rolling.
6. The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit – J.R.R. Tolkien.- My introduction to the magical world of magic and fantasy.
7. The First Law – Joe Abercrombie.- Gritty, fast, violent, awesome.
8. The Darksword Trilogy – Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman.- The first two books are just too good to punish them for the third.
9. The Sword of Truth – Terry Goodkind.- Good series, a bit too uphill for me.
10. The Gormenghast Novels – Marvyn Peake.- Strange, fast paced and a completely different type of fantasy.

Well there you have it, so please feel free to add your own series in the comment section.

See you all next week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment